'Tis the season for year in reviews. Here's my “Albums of 2013 Year in Review”, with a playlist (<—links) of my favorite/standout track from each. This year was all about keeping it simple and straight forward for me. It was really difficult to narrow everything down, so I cheated a bit and threw in some honorable mentions at the end, in no particular order, and made it my top 13 of 2013.
- Holiday by Port St. Willow - This album is technically a re-release from the independent release last year, but I didn’t get access to it until the re-release. It immediately became the soundtrack to literally everything I did: driving, studying, waking up, getting ready, sleeping. The tracks are all relatively lengthy, but it tells such a beautifully cohesive and flowing story that you don’t even notice and find yourself repeating it the moment it ends.
- The Greatest Generation by The Wonder Years - These guys have a knack for capturing the feeling of constantly coming up short. Whether it’s not being able to live up to your own expectations, or feeling like you’re never in control of your life. The Wonder Years will always remind you, in the most honest ways, that you’re not alone.
- The Bones of What You Believe by CHVRCHES - A simply refreshing synth-pop album. I feel like the synth-pop genre has been in a bit of a rut lately and I’ve been dying to get my hands (or ears, rather) on a straight forward album from it. This album was exactly what I was longing for. A full sound with super catchy melodies and great percussion, but nothing is overdone. Which, is where I think previous attempts were going wrong.
- Days Are Gone by Haim
- The Light Under Closed Doors by The Swellers
- Pure Heroine by Lorde
- The Things We Think We’re Missing by Balance and Composure
- Sleep in the Water by Snakadaktal
- Paracosm by Washed Out
- If You Leave by Daughter
- Paramore by Paramore
- Disillusion by O’Brother
- Hummingbird by Local Natives
PS: In case anyone’s interested, I also have a separate playlist on my profile of my favorite EP’s released this year, because there was no way i could work everything into one list. It includes releases from Andrew Bird, Our Last Night, and Tennis to name a few. It also has an awesome spoken word artist, Trey the Ruler, on there.